Tuesday, May 15, 2012

One year (and fifteen days).

I had it in my head that I was going to write this beautiful post about my wedding day. I was going to talk about the first year of marriage. No, MY first year of marriage. Then the day came and went. We spent the weekend before having drinks with friends, making fancy meals at home (one of which was a throw-back to our two week honeymoon in Spain.) We spent a rather exorbitant amount of money on an anniversary dinner. (It was worth it.)

Now, fifteen days after the one year mark of us saying, I do, I realized I should put some words down. The emotions should not go unnoticed. I should talk about them. Really, I can only do this in an anecdotal form. It's what I do. But it's not who I am.*

Today was a gorgeous day in Chicago. Just almost 80 degrees, sunny, and just perfect. Sadly, both P.I.C. and I spent it working. Luckily for us, we work jobs where we can leave at reasonable hour. P.I.C. had left a little bit earlier to run an errand. I got it in my head, I am going to stop and buy P.I.C. some beer on my way home. Burgers were on our dinner menu, nothing could be better than beers with that (in addition to a beautiful 80 degree day), right? Brooklyn Summer Ale would be perfect. It would remind us of our first trip together (NYC, of course) and would taste PERFECT. Sadly, the liquor store had no Brooklyn Summer. I settled for Hoegaarden.

I got home, proudly announcing my arrival. "HELLO, HUSBAND. I HAVE GIFTS FOR YOU THAT WILL GO WITH OUR BURGERS."

He comes out, smiling, kind of chuckling. I whip out the beer from my bag. "TAAADAAAAA. Beer."

He started full out laughing and then opened the fridge. Apparently, he'd had the same idea. Of course, his version was more hipstery and in a can (Bombshell Blonde something-or-other.)

YOU GUYS. This is why you marry someone. You have the SAME good ideas. We toasted to our similar intelligence with our beers as we relaxed on our porch with a lovely view of the dumpster and alley. Cheers to having someone who will appreciate a beer on a nice day.

On a more sentimental note, I could go on for days about stories of how I know that I married the perfect man for me. But really, you all would rather hear of my shenanigans about beers and us laughing at each other, wouldn't you?

To my P.I.C., my partner-in-crime, thank you. You make each day fun and have helped created an adventure of a life for us. Thank you for encouraging me to be...me.

*If you get this quote, I will thusly designate you blog reader of the month. YOU, officially, are cool enough to hang with me. FOR THE RECORD, f*@k you, spell check. THUSLY IS A WORD.

2 comments:

  1. I use Firefox and your blog has changed so that the borders are too far inside and don't move, so I can't read the text! I don't know if there is a fix for this or what changes you (or the webhost) made, but I have to read your blog at the very top of my page in a space about 1/2 inch tall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's how you show up on my iPad, too. Happy belated anniversary!

    ReplyDelete