Friday, January 6, 2012

The treadmill.

You all know the story of how I got starting running. Well, ever since that very first 5K, I've kept on running. Occasionally. Perhaps not as often as I should, but I get at it occasionally. I don't hate it so much anymore, and in fact, just signed up to do an 8K. For those who are not mathematically inclined, that is THREE MORE Ks, GUYS. Whoa.

So lately, I've been hitting up the treadmills at our gym. Really, I do enjoy running outside way more than on a treadmill, but in Chicago winter, it's difficult. Add in the dark hours and it's difficult to find a time to go when there is (a) no ice on the sidewalk and (b) enough light to not worry about safety running alone when I work normal business hours. So I run on the treadmills at my gym. They're nice, brand new, and I can watch MTV shows such as "Friend Zone" and squeal when teenagers make a love connection. It's all fun for me. Except there is this one thing. I am fairly convinced that I will be one of those people that falls off a treadmill.

I was talking about going to the gym with my coworker the other day. She told me that she hated the treadmill. I told her that I didn't love it, but running made me feel good afterwards, so I sucked it up. The only days I do not do the treadmill are the days where I am too tired. Those are the days I feel rather certain I will fall off. I did tell her that I figured that one day I'd be one of those people that fell off a treadmill. She asked me, "Why do you even run on a treadmill if you think you will fall off?"

Really, it's a perfectly reasonable question. She makes a valid point. I responded in typical irrational form, "Well, I just want to know how it's going to happen. Will I go straight back? Will I take out other people when I fall? If I stop running on a treadmill, I will never know."

Not to toot my own horn, but yeah, my questions seem pretty great too. Wouldn't YOU want to know? I'll let you know when it does happen, trust me.

1 comment:

  1. Been a treadmill sales man for years. To be honest, i never really get into it, i prefer outdoor running, regardless the weather.

    ReplyDelete