Friday, December 24, 2010

Merry Christmas (Eve!)

While I had a long hiatus from the blog for vacation, I'm making serious attempts to be diligent at writing since I returned home. Coming back from a longer vacation is incredibly different. Honestly, I feel as though I have an excuse for my bad attitude. "Post-vacation" blues or whatnot.

However, this morning, as I sip my Panamanian coffee (black, exactly the way I drank it nearly the entire time I was in Panama, the coffee was truly that good), I am pretty happy to be back to reality. It is Christmas.

I had a minor mental breakdown earlier this week about the season, actually. Given our vacation smack-dab in the middle of Christmas season and the fact that I had focused my entire energy and attention on preparing for and then enjoying my vacation, I did not do anything really for the season. I put up my little tree and that was about it. I didn't get to go through all of my ornaments that my mom had set aside for me (for when I had my own place.) I didn't Christmas shop for my friends and family, something that ordinarily gives me such happiness. And P.I.C. and I chose to not give each other gifts for Christmas in light of our vacation. Instead, we chose to go to the framer and get my birthday present framed. (The artist of those gorgeous screen prints is the husband of a dear friend of mine. He's so talented.)

Lucky for me, P.I.C. picked up those pieces and promised that next year we would get a proper tree. This morning, I have a new perspective on the season. Well, for this year at least. I get to spend time with my family, which makes me very happy. There will be massive amounts of food, drink and holiday cheer, and probably some energetic game-playing. Tomorrow I get to see more family and have MORE food, drink and holiday cheer. There will be Christmas trees galore. I will get to give the family their little tokens from Panama. Eat, drink and be merry, indeed. If I'm feeling real crazy, I might even dress my cat up like an elf. Why not? It's Christmas!!!

This morning, as I drink my black Panamanian coffee (thanks for roasting it, Tito!), I am happy. Christmas is here.

Merry Christmas to you all!

And if you're looking for my insights as to that other "big deal" that's a mere week away, head on over to Smartly Chicago. What are YOUR plans for New Year's Eve?

2 comments:

  1. Congrats again about the big news...

    But I gotta know, did you dress the cat like an elf??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much!

    Ya know, I never got around to dressing him up. Last week was busy and now it just seems silly after the holiday. Oh next year though. It's on!

    ReplyDelete