Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A fabulous coat.

It would seem that I am not the only one of my friends to have awkward moments. Of course not. We all have awkward moments. So, Ms. Sass comes into my office this morning and says to me, "I have to tell you what happened on my way to court. You should write about it. It is the definition of awkward."

Nice.

A little back story: Ms. Sass had been dying for a trench coat a few months back. Despite the fact that trench coats are worn perhaps only two days out of the year, we all love them. They make you look put together even when there is a hot mess hiding underneath. I should know, I have two. Ms. Sass finds the perfect trench coat in a lovely deep purple about six weeks ago and has been rocking it ever since. It suits her perfectly.

This morning, she was hustling into court, in her trench coat, naturally, when an elderly lady (EL) stops her.

EL: "Excuse me, miss, your coat is just lovely."
MS: "Thank you." (She smiles, thinking today might not be so bad after all.)
EL: "The color is nice on you, it is just a nice coat."
MS: "Well...thank you."

(At this point in the story, I am thinking that she's about to tell me that she got wooed by the world's oldest Mary Kay lady. I was wrong.)

EL: "You know, honey, in my day, that's the kinda coat we would wear with nothing on underneath."

Silence.

EL then winks, walking away, leaving Ms. Sass speechless (a very difficult feat, I might add.)

Ah, Ms. Sass was right. Today is going to be a good day. Awkward moments from the get go. I like.

No comments:

Post a Comment