Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Coach A...

When I was younger, my mom always encouraged me to do volunteer work. At first, it was necessary for the college applications. I didn't want to go to the library and help out in the children's section. But I did it because my mom promised it would be good for college. I then spent a semester in college volunteering at a nursing home in the Alzheimer unit. Again, this was brought on by my college program and a required activity. Clearly, I thought I was too busy or too important to willingly sign up to do something for free.

Over the years, I have grown, and realized the importance in not only being selfless, but also in giving back to the community. When I was in law school, I decided that one day I would want to be a Big Sister. I thought it would be a fun way to give back, and frankly I thought it would be something at which I excelled. Come on, I was set to be an amazing Big Sister. Right? After law school, when I finally got my first job, I signed up for the program. I had a job, my life had some stability, and I was ready for the commitment. Around that same time, I became friends with another girl who had also signed up for the program. A long nine months or so later, we both were finally matched with our Little Sister (or "littles," as the program calls them). Because our littles were the same age and lived in the same housing complex, we ended up doing a lot of tandem activities. We went to Cubs games, rollerskating, to the beach, and all sorts of other activities. Nearly three years later, I still have my little sister. She's almost twelve now, but still as sassy as ever. As challenging as the mentorship relationship has turned out to be, it is definitely one of the more selfless things I have done over the years. Despite miscommunication with my little's mom and my busy schedule, I still try to come up with creative ways to spend our time. I am going to try to maintain this relationship for as long as I am able. We all want to make a difference, I figure this is my part. In a small way, I'm making a difference.

Speaking of making a difference, the same "Big Sister" friend is one of those amazing people that always has some sort of good doing up her sleeve. She maintains that level of coolness where she just does these activities without any sort of show. It just is a part of her life. I am so grateful that she has helped me to become in other community outreach programs. Her latest endeavor? Coaching a little league softball team. And guess who gets to be Assistant Coach. Never mind the fact that I have not played softball since I was about ten years old. Oh, and a mitt? Don't have one of those either. Yet I signed on to help out. Why not? It's like hanging with TEN little sisters with a corresponding volume level. (Seriously, I think we chased off many patrons in Bacci last night for our post-practice pizza party.) They are sweet, funny, silly and loud.

My newest adventure is coaching softball. Whodathunk THAT? Oh, and they call me Coach A. Standby for updates. There are sure to be lots of funny moments documented up in here.

No comments:

Post a Comment