Monday, June 27, 2011

Wedding appropriately celebrated...moving on.

Our wedding has been celebrated. Again. Now time to focus on the celebration of our new life together.

Because our actual wedding was in such a small space, P.I.C. and I could not invite our extended family. We had to limit our guest list to our immediate families (huge in P.I.C.'s world) and a few of our friends. Since I have a rather large extended family, and I knew they would want to celebrate the nuptials, my mom and Auntie Em (and her wife, April) came up with the brilliant idea to have a summer celebration at Auntie Em's house. We would invite all of the family, and any friends that couldn't come to the actual wedding. There would be a tent, roasted pork sandwiches, potato salad, and a keg of Spotted Cow. I would don my wedding gown for an encore viewing of "the dress." A D.J. named Hugo was added to the party later. (Gotta have a serious soundtrack for a serious backyard bash!)




Well, this past Saturday, we celebrated, backyard-style. While a very small number of friends made it, the family came out in full force. We had some photographs taken in small-town Wisconsin and along some country roads with a background of corn fields and rolling hills. We stayed up entirely too late attempting to make the keg float. We laughed, we danced, we hugged, we drank beer, we went for seconds on the pork sandwiches, we drank more beer, we ate wedding cake...and it was all photographed by a wonderful photographer (and her fantastic husband, both great friends of ours).

Now, early Monday morning, I officially can say that our wedding has been celebrated to the max.

To add to our celebration, on Friday, the day before our second celebration, we found out that New York lawmakers voted to allow same sex couples to get married. It gave me great joy to revel in the loveliness of a wedding knowing that finally, equality was starting to spread to the bigger states. EQUALITY. I hope from the bottom of my heart that this is a greater trend across our country.

The happiness I felt as I married the love of my life shouldn't be limited to straight people. Every single person on this earth deserves that feeling of joy. They deserve to marry the person of their dreams. Every single time another state votes to allow this to occur, I am hopeful that soon all states will follow suit.

May each person be able to not only find that special person that makes them smile each and every day, but also be able to marry them. Let us all celebrate our happiness equally.

3 comments:

  1. I could not agree more. Glad you had a fun second wedding celebration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still feel bad I could not make it, but it sounds like you had a great time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooo wanted to be there, but glad you had another great celebration. You + me + Fo need a night out soon.

    ReplyDelete