Friday, November 19, 2010

Another kind of home intruder.

I am so very grateful for all of the kind words from everyone regarding our recent burglary. Slowly, but surely, we are starting to feel back to normal in the Awkward household.

Wednesday night, we were invited over for a lovely dinner party by the fabulous Amelie and her husband. Honestly, the dinner with friends was just the ticket to have a little fun, good conversation and lots of wine. The burglary was put on the back burner, and we enjoyed ourselves immensely. We returned home, happy, well-fed and in a much better mood than when we had left. We also returned home to a new "friend" on our porch.


He looked like this guy. Only not on a computer.
(But I couldn't resist this photo.)

Oh yes. A little cat was waiting for us on the porch. He was not one of the neighborhood alley cats. I had never seen him before. Furthermore, he was completely friendly. From the moment we walked up to the cat, he wanted two things: (1) For me to pet him and (2) to come inside our home. However, we already have a cat that we adore very greatly. Furthermore, both P.I.C. and I are allergic to the short-haired domestic cats. (I can't make sense of it either, but our red, itchy eyes and sneeziness prove this to be the case when we are around this type of cat.) Having a sleepover with a strange gray cat was just not acceptable.

I tried to woo him away with some food. He wanted none of that. He only wanted my love and affection. Oh, and my warm and cozy apartment. Clearly, he wanted that too. Every time I opened the back door, he'd BOLT through the door. P.I.C. had to form a human shield to keep him out. I sat on the porch in the cold night, getting misted on by some sort of precipitation, and pet the stranger for a little while. Why not? Despite the sneezes I could feel welling up inside of me, an affectionate animal is one thing I am powerless against. He was so damn full of snuggles. I could hear Oxford inside meowing at me to COME INSIDE. STOP PETTING STRANGE CATS, MOM.

Since it was obvious that getting in the backdoor sans intruding cat was not going to be an option, I came up with a plan. I would walk around the side of the house to the front door and attempt to "lose" him. Of course, the moment I started walking away, this cat started following me. He stopped, but then I felt so guilty. It was cold and damp. I am fairly certain that he was someone's cat because of his sweet nature and friendly personality. I hope he made it home. Well, I either hope he made it home or found someone like me who didn't have my allergies.

CAT INTRUDER: 0. FABULOUSLY AWKWARD: 1.

Stupid allergies.

(Thanks to http://virusdefeat.com/?page_id=58 for the funny cat picture.)

3 comments:

  1. You've just made a new friend, and by friend, I mean a new kitty. I'm thinking he'll be back on your porch for more loving. Better get a shot of benadryl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww. I would've taken him in. But I'm a sucker for that shit, which gets me in trouble. Whoopsie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss my cats... stupid allergies indeed...

    ReplyDelete