Tuesday, October 12, 2010

So this is thirty.

I couldn't sleep last night. The whole "turning thirty" and "feeling old" thing was getting to me. Most of all, I knew that if I fell asleep, I would wake up and be thirty. Guess what? I stayed up. When the clock passed midnight, nothing momentous happened. Well, I was pretty tired. But that's what I get for letting insomnia rule my world, I suppose.

Honestly, I feel the same as yesterday. I did have one incident that I can either attribute to being blond or being old and forgetful. I got out to the far-reaching county for my depositions today very early. I decided to gas up P.I.C.'s car. In so doing, I decided to really scrub his windows because apparently our parking spot is under a bird toilet. (Awesome, right?) The pump went off, and I was still scrubbing away. I finished washing the bird business off the car, then hopped in the car. I slowly pulled out and heard a thud. Um. What? Yeah. Turns out, what had happened was, I forgot to put the pump back on its little resting spot. I looked back and saw the hose and pump trailing. Fortunately, I didn't pull out quickly so no damage to the pump was done. I stopped the car and sauntered out toward the pump and hose. Another woman pumping gas watched me curiously. I am not sure if she expected me to act all frazzled and embarrassed, but I was certain to play it cool. Well, as cool as you can be for doing one of the most boneheaded things you can do at a gas station. I put the pump back in my place and even pushed the button for the receipt. A little nod to the woman with a "WTF are you looking at, this happens" look and I was on my way.

Truthfully, I think I played it off rather well. Until I got in the car and realized, "OMG...where is my cell phone?" I couldn't find it in my purse or in the car, so I was certain that what had happened was that I dropped it on the ground when I casually picked up the pump. I pulled over into a parking lot and began a frantic search for my phone. GREAT. Ten hours into my 30th year and I have already lost my cell phone. I even drove BACK to the gas station (mind you, the place where I had made an utter ass out of myself by DRIVING OFF WITH THE PUMP STILL ATTACHED TO MY CAR), certain that it was laying on the ground unscathed. As I began to make the left-hand turn back into the gas station, I heard my phone vibrate. Sure enough, it was just tucked on the other side of the console.

So. Aside from the morning being a HUGE duh, I feel like thirty ain't so bad.

Now, if you don't mind, I intend to have both cocktails and champagne this evening. Because I am THIRTY. And it's my birthday and I can do pretty much what I want today. Including taking the pump with me. Yep.

1 comment:

  1. When I saw the title of this post, I started humming "Merry Christmas (War is Over) by John Lennon...

    "So this is 30.. and what have you done... another year over...a new one just begun.

    Oddly appropriate.

    Also, don't worry about the gas pump. I'd venture to say you'd do that regardless. I know I would.

    Happy birthday

    ReplyDelete